Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

Mental Health and Wellbeing at University

It’s important to know what mental health and wellbeing support is available to you during your studies – find details here.

Counselling services

Most universities and colleges provide counselling for students who need emotional support. Student services or the students’ union (or other student body) can give you information about what’s available – make sure you check the university or college website too.

Mental health advisers

Student support teams often include specialist advisers dedicated to helping students with mental health difficulties. This help is not limited to people with diagnosed conditions – it’s available to all students who would like support to cope with any aspect of life. Mental health advisers can explain the different services available – discussing your particular needs or concerns will help them decide the best support for your needs.

You don’t have to wait until you arrive at university or college to contact the mental health adviser. In fact, it’s a good idea to contact them when you have been offered a place on the course, so they can ensure you’re fully supported and feel confident when you arrive.

Check out UMHAN (University Mental Health Advisers Network) for more information, and the student mental health charity, Student Minds.

Buttle UK provides grants for estranged students who need financial help for access to emotional, physical, or mental health care. See our financial support information for more details.

Your wellbeing

Student Space is a new online hub from Student Minds. Here you can find support for mental health and wellbeing during the COVID-19 pandemic. There is a range of information, access to dedicated support services (phone or text), details of the support available at your university, and tools to help you manage the challenges of student life.

Visit the Student Space website.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

Students who incur extra study-related costs as a result of a physical or mental health condition or learning difference can apply for DSAs. You apply for DSAs alongside student finance, and they enable you to get the support you need at university or college – the amount you receive depends on your individual needs following a needs assessment.

If you are not sure you are eligible, it’s worth applying. Even if you don’t get a DSA, you can still get help from your university or college – remember to share an impairment or condition in the UCAS application so they can arrange support for you.

If you have a specific question about our Virtual Open Days, simply get in touch.